Nursery nurses and assistants
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Nursery nurses and assistants care for children from birth up to seven years of age in day or residential nurseries, children’s homes, maternity units and similar establishments.
QualificationsEntry is most common with GCSEs/S grades followed by the award of a certificate from the Council for Awards in Children’s Care and Education. An NVQ/SVQ in Child Care and Education or equivalent qualification at level 3 is required to work as a nursery nurse. CRB clearance is mandatory.
- baths, dresses, prepares feed for and feeds babies, changes babies clothing whenever necessary;
- supervises young children at mealtimes;
- plans and organises games and other activities and supervises children’s play;
- reads stories, organises counting games to help develop language and number skills;
- writes reports on children’s development and maintains awareness of health and safety issues;
- communicates with parents and colleagues on children’s development and well-being.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.