Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Ophthalmic opticians test patients’ vision, diagnose defects and disorders and prescribe glasses or contact lenses as required.
QualificationsEntrants require a degree in Optometry, must have passed the Professional Qualifying Examination of the General Optical Council, and have completed a pre-registration year. Advanced training in specialised areas is available.
- examines eyes and tests vision of patient, identifies problems, defects, injuries and ill health;
- prescribes, supplies and fits appropriate spectacle lenses, contact lenses and other aids;
- advises patient on proper use of glasses, contact lenses and other aids, and on appropriate lighting conditions for reading and working;
- refers patient to a specialist, where necessary;
- carries out research with glass and lens manufacturers.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.