Personal assistants and other secretaries
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Personal assistants and other secretaries provide administrative and secretarial support to individuals, departmental or management teams within organisations.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements, although entry to professional secretarial courses typically requires GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs are available in Administration at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- acts as a first point of contact for a manager or team with colleagues and people from outside organisations, fields telephone enquiries, takes and passes on messages;
- arranges appointments, keeps business diary, organises travel arrangements, makes reservations and organises a variety of functions;
- opens, sorts, distributes and files correspondence (in hard copy and electronic) and deals directly with routine correspondence;
- uses appropriate software to produce correspondence, memoranda, reports, presentations and other documents from drafts, handwritten copy or by transcribing dictation;
- arranges and attends meetings, takes minutes and prepares records of proceedings;
- translates documents and liaises with overseas clients and suppliers.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.