Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Pharmaceutical technicians work in hospitals or in the community and assist pharmacists in the preparation and dispensing of drugs and medicines.
QualificationsEntrants to training usually possess GCSEs/S grades or the equivalent. Training is typically a combination of practical experience and study at a college or by open learning towards vocational qualifications. To register as a pharmacy technician with the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain an NVQ/ SVQ in Pharmacy Services at Level 3 is required
- checks received prescriptions for legality and accuracy;
- prepares drugs and medicines under the supervision of pharmacist;
- prepares specialised, tailor-made drugs for intravenous administration by hospital medical staff;
- labels and checks items prior to dispensing;
- maintains records of prescriptions received and drugs issued;
- advises patients or customers on the use of drugs prescribed or medication purchased over the counter;
- checks stock levels, orders new stock from pharmaceutical companies and ensures that drugs are stored appropriately.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.