Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Workers in this unit group install pipe systems and maintain and repair pipes in major utilities, industrial and construction settings and sites.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may expect entrants to possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is usually via apprenticeship including practical experience and technical training. NVQs/SVQs in Mechanical Engineering Services (Plumbing) at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
- examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of piping;
- measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic piping using hand or machine tools;
- installs pipes for heating, ventilating, fire prevention, water and similar systems in industrial and construction settings, including oil rigs and terminals, sewerage systems and other mains networks;
- fits piping into position and joins sections by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or by other methods;
- tests pipe work for leaks and makes necessary adjustments.