Planning, process and production technicians
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group perform a variety of technical support functions to assist production, process and planning engineers with production programmes and schedules and with manufacturing and processing procedures in order to ensure accuracy, cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
QualificationsEntrants to training usually possess GCSEs/ S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA National award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
- supports planning and production engineers in assessing existing and alternative production methods;
- works from, and helps implement, professional engineers’ drawings and specifications for equipment and layout, and helps implement modifications required for existing plant machinery/layout;
- works with engineers on production control methods to monitor operational efficiency and helps to eliminate potential hazards and bottlenecks in production;
- liaises with materials buying, storing and controlling departments to ensure a steady flow of supplies;
- supports professional engineers in reviewing safety, quality, accuracy, reliability and contractual requirements;
- supports implementation of plans of sequence of operations and completion dates for each phase of production or processing;
- ensures implementation of inspection, testing and evaluation methods for bought-in materials, components, semi-finished and finished products;
- ensures accuracy of manufacturing and testing equipment;
- ensures effective completion and implementation of detailed instructions on processes, work methods and quality and safety standards for workers.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.