Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Plasterers apply plaster and cement mixtures to walls and ceilings, fix fibrous sheets and cast and fix ornamental plasterwork to the interior or exterior of buildings.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
- mixes, or directs the mixing of, plaster to desired consistency;
- applies and smoothes one or more coats of plaster and produces a finished surface, using hand tools or mechanical spray;
- pours liquid plaster into mould to cast ornamental plaster work;
- measures, cuts, installs and secures plaster board and/or ornamental plasterwork to walls and ceilings;
- covers and seals joints between boards and finishes surface;
- checks surface level using line, spirit level and straight edge.