Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Playworkers deliver and facilitate play opportunities for children in a range of formal and informal settings including play groups, play schemes, free play locations, and in pre- and after-school activities.
QualificationsEntry may not depend upon academic qualifications, although some employers will expect candidates to possess or be working towards a relevant qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Child Care and Education are available at Levels 2 and 3. CRB clearance is mandatory.
- supervises children’s games and encourages the development of physical, social and language skills;
- provides play areas and prepares materials for a wide range of children’s activities;
- encourages children’s independence, self-confidence and social interaction;
- organises and supervises children on excursions;
- organises and supervises children’s activities in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, deals accordingly with injuries and emergencies;
- puts away equipment and cleans premises after use;
- liaises with parents, carers and colleagues and keeps appropriate records.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.