Plumbers and heating and ventilating engineers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Jobholders in this unit group assemble, install, maintain and repair plumbing fixtures, heating and ventilating systems and pipes and pipeline systems in commercial, residential and industrial premises and public buildings.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. NVQs/SVQs in Mechanical Engineering Services are available at Levels 2 and 3. Apprenticeships are available for plumbing and lead to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
- examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of system;
- measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic using hand or machine tools;
- installs fittings such as storage tanks, cookers, baths, toilets, taps and valves, refrigerators, boilers, radiators and fires;
- tests completed installation for leaks and makes any necessary adjustments;
- attaches fittings and joins piping by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or other methods;
- repairs burst pipes and mechanical and combustion faults and replaces faulty taps, washers, valves, etc.