Programmers and software development professionals
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Programmers and software development professionals design, develop, test, implement and maintain software systems in order to meet the specifications and business objectives of the information system; they also design and develop specialist software e.g. for computer games.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
- examines existing software and determines requirements for new/modified systems in the light of business needs;
- undertakes feasibility study to design software solutions;
- writes and codes individual programs according to specifications;
- develops user interfaces;
- tests and corrects software programs;
- writes code for specialist programming for computer games, (for example, artificial intelligence, 3D engine development);
- implements and evaluates the software;
- plans and maintains database structures;
- writes operational documentation and provides subsequent support and training for users.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.