Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Psychologists research, study and assess emotional, cognitive and behavioural processes and abnormalities in human beings and animals and how these are affected by genetic, physical and social factors.
QualificationsEntrants require a degree in psychology recognised by the British Psychology Society. Postgraduate and professional qualifications relating to different areas of psychology are available and are required for certain posts.
- develops and administers tests to measure intelligence, abilities, aptitudes, etc. and assesses results;
- develops treatment and guidance methods and gives treatment or guidance using a variety of therapy and counselling techniques;
- observes and experiments on humans and animals to measure mental and physical characteristics;
- analyses the effect of hereditary, social and physical factors on thought and behaviour;
- studies psychological factors in the treatment and prevention of mental illness or emotional and personality disorders;
- maintains required contacts with family members, education or other health professionals, as appropriate, and recommends possible solutions to problems presented;
- applies professional knowledge and techniques within the workplace, addressing issues such as job design, work groups, motivation etc.;
- applies psychological treatment methods to help athletes achieve optimum mental health and enhance sporting performance.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.