Quality assurance technicians
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Quality assurance technicians perform a variety of technical inspections and testing and monitoring tasks to detect processing, manufacturing and other defects.
QualificationsEntrants normally possess GCSEs/S grades, a BTEC/ SQA award or A levels/H grades. Training is typically received on-the-job, supplemented by training courses where instruction in specific techniques is required. Various industry-specific NVQs/SVQs encompass aspects of quality control.
- sets up scientific, electronic, or other technical equipment to perform functional and inspection tests;
- analyses and interprets the results of tests undertaken and writes up reports upon completion;
- supervises the work of routine inspection staff and notes any defects reported;
- assists quality control engineers in undertaking production audits;
- liaises with production engineers and staff to maintain the quality of output and to develop quality management systems.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.