Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Quantity surveyors advise on financial and contractual matters relating to, and prepare bills of quantities for, construction projects and provide other support functions concerning the financing and materials required for building projects.
QualificationsEntry is through professional training and membership of an appropriate professional organisation. Entry to professional examinations will require GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Candidates usually undertake a period of probationary training and professional assessment.
- liaises with client on project costs, formulates detailed cost plan and advises contractors and engineers to ensure that they remain within cost limit;
- examines plans and specifications and prepares details of the material and labour required for the project;
- prepares bills of quantities for use by contractors when tendering for work;
- examines tenders received, advises client on the most acceptable and assists with preparation of a contract document;
- measures and values work in progress and examines any deviations from original contract;
- measures and values completed contract for authorisation of payment.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.