Rail and rolling stock builders and repairers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Rail and rolling stock builders and repairers erect, fit, assemble and repair rolling stock parts and sub-assemblies, and test and adjust new engines for trains.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, a GNVQ/ GSVQ or a BTEC/SQA award. Apprenticeships in Engineering Maintenance at NVQ/SVQ Level 3 are available.
- examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate methods and sequence of operations;
- fits and assembles parts and/or metal sub-assemblies to make train engines;
- examines rolling stock for defects, removes, replaces and repairs faulty parts;
- inspects and tests new and repaired machinery for conformity with standards and specifications;
- oils and greases train engines;
- maintains record of repairs and maintenance carried out.