Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Receptionists receive and direct telephone calls and visitors to commercial, government and other establishments.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, although many employers expect entrants to possess GCSEs/S grades. There are a variety of relevant vocational qualifications available. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Level 2 that encompass various aspects of reception work. Professional qualifications are also available.
- receives callers and clients and directs them to the appropriate person or department;
- records the details of enquiries and makes appointments and reservations;
- answers, screens and forwards or otherwise deals with telephone enquiries;
- supplies brochures, pamphlets and other information for clients;
- records details of visitors, issues security passes and informs visitors of any actions to be taken in case of an emergency;
- maintains reception area in good order.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.