Refuse and salvage occupations
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Refuse and salvage collectors supervise and undertake the collection and processing of refuse from household, commercial and industrial premises.
QualificationsNo academic qualifications are required. Training is provided on-the-job. A minimum age limit of 18 years normally applies.
- rides in or on refuse vehicle and alights to pick up domestic refuse;
- carries waste material in dustbins or other containers from premises to refuse vehicle;
- empties refuse into vehicle manually or using an electronic tipping device;
- returns dustbins or other containers to premises;
- collects scrap metal, salvage, paper and other recyclable material from domestic and industrial premises, and sorts material in preparation for recycling;
- attends the operation of refuse tips, supervises the use of public refuse disposal facilities, and compacts and covers up refuse at landfill sites.