Research and development managers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Managers in this unit group plan, organise, co-ordinate and manage resources to undertake the systematic investigation necessary for the development of new, or to enhance the performance of existing, products and services.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a relevant degree or equivalent qualification. Training is usually provided on-the-job, although support may be provided for postgraduate study. Professional qualifications are available.
- establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions;
- liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems;
- develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken;
- plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team;
- monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.