Retail cashiers and check-out operators
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Retail cashiers and check-out operators accept payments from customers and give change in respect of sales or services.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or relevant experience. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Levels 1 and 2.
- records cost of each item on cash register or by use of bar code reader and totals the amount to be paid;
- receives cash, cheque or debit or credit card payment, checks validity of form of payment, gives change and issues receipts for purchase;
- debits customer’s account in respect of purchases or services;
- monitors fuel taken by self-service customers or refuels vehicle if required;
- maintains transaction records as requested.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.