Road construction operatives
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Road construction operatives construct, repair and maintain roads and lay paving slabs and kerbstones to form pavements and street gutters.
QualificationsNo academic qualifications are required. Training is typically provided on-the-job. All sites are required to have a ‘trained operative’ registered with the Street Workers Qualification Register. Trained operatives are required to attend accredited assessment centres. NVQs/SVQs in Highway Maintenance and Road Building are available at Levels 1 and 2.
- inspects road surfaces for hazards or signs of deterioration, clears mud, weeds and debris from road and spreads grit or salt as required;
- cuts away broken road surface with pick or pneumatic drill;
- heats bitumen in bucket, applies it to newly laid asphalt and beats or draws tamper head on asphalt to close joints;
- spreads bitumen, tar or asphalt and compacts surface using roller;
- spreads aggregate over road surfaces using shovel and lays markings on road surface;
- removes damaged paving slabs and kerb stones, lays bedding of sand, concrete or mortar on prepared foundation, lays new slabs or stones and fills joints with mortar.