Roofers, roof tilers and slaters
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group cover roofs and exterior walls with felting, sheeting, slates, tiles and thatch to provide a waterproof surface.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
- measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material;
- cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size;
- lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound;
- lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material;
- seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.