Scaffolders, stagers and riggers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group erect and dismantle scaffolding and working platforms, set up lifting equipment and ships’ rigging, maintain and repair steeples, industrial chimneys and other tall structures and install, maintain and repair ropes, wires and cables.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is initially received on-the-job. Skilled workers must obtain Construction Skills recognised scaffolders record scheme cards through the completion of approved courses and further work experience. NVQs/SVQs in Scaffolding are available at Levels 2 and 3.
- examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements;
- examines scaffold tubing and couplings for defects and selects, fits and bolts scaffold tubes until scaffolding reaches required height;
- lays and secures wooden planking to form working platforms and fixes guard rails, ladders, cradles and awnings as required;
- erects jib, derrick and similar hoisting equipment and installs ropes, pulleys and other lifting tackle;
- forms rope slings, ladders, netting and other rigging and measures, cuts and repairs wire or fibre rope.