Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Company secretaries (excluding qualified chartered secretaries) file and maintain company records, translate notes and dictation into typewritten form and perform other clerical tasks within commercial organisations.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants to professional secretarial courses typically require GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- opens, sorts, distributes and files correspondence (both hard copy and electronic);
- uses appropriate software to produce correspondence, memoranda, reports, presentations and other documents from drafts, handwritten copy or by transcribing dictation;
- deals directly with routine correspondence;
- files and retrieves documents, sets up and maintains filing systems and reproduces copies of documentation as required;
- keeps appointments diary, makes travel arrangements and arranges conference and other functions;
- arranges meetings, circulates agenda and other meeting documents, attends meetings, and takes and prepares minutes;
- answers, screens, handles and directs telephone requests and enquiries, takes messages and forwards to the appropriate member of staff;
- undertakes reception responsibilities by greeting visitors and arranging refreshments;
- ensures office supplies such as stationery and equipment are maintained.