Senior professionals of educational establishments
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the administration, support systems and activities that facilitate the effective running of a university, college or other educational establishment.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification and have gained significant relevant experience in the field of education. Specialist training courses and professional qualifications are available.
- considers staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term needs;
- arranges for evaluation of management, accounting, information storage and retrieval and other facilities;
- provides administrative support to the academic team;
- leads or contributes to decision making processes regarding curricula, budgetary, disciplinary and other matters;
- controls administrative aspects of student admission, registration and graduation;
- acts as secretary to statutory and other bodies/committees associated with the educational establishment;
- drafts and interprets regulations and deals with queries and complaints procedures;
- organises examinations, necessary invigilations and any security procedures required;
- arranges for the preparation and publication of syllabuses and other official documents;
- assists with recruitment, public relations and marketing activities;
- coordinates and maintains quality assurance procedures.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.