Shopkeepers and proprietors – wholesale and retail
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Shopkeepers and proprietors in this unit group co-ordinate, direct and undertake the activities in the running of small, independent retail and wholesale establishments.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. A range of management and leadership courses in retail is available, in addition to NVQs/ SVQs in at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- defines the market position for the business, decides what to sell, forecasts demand and develops the brand image of the business;
- determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;
- oversees staff training, rotas and the allocation of work;
- provides information about merchandise to staff and customers and ensures customer complaints are appropriately dealt with;
- ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and orders new stock as required;
- maintains financial and other shop records and controls security arrangements for the premises;
- authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price and credit terms;
- examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.