Sports and leisure assistants
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Sports and leisure assistants, provide and maintain facilities for sporting and recreational activities and supervise their use, maintain the continuity of entertainment and social events, offer odds and accept bets on the result of sporting and other events and control gambling activities.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. A variety of vocational qualifications is available in Sports and Recreation and Leisure and Tourism.
- maintains sports and leisure equipment and prepares equipment for use;
- supervises the use of swimming pools, gymnasium apparatus, fitness machines and other recreational equipment;
- maintains hygienic operation of swimming pools and associated facilities such as jacuzzis, showers and changing areas;
- carries clubs for golfers, advises on the layout and distance of golf courses and appropriate choice of golf club;
- announces acts, makes introductions, proposes toasts and maintains the continuity of entertainment events and social functions;
- assesses likely outcome of an event and establishes odds, accepts and records bets, issues receipts and pays out on winning bets;
- controls the progress of games of cards, roulette and other gambling activities according to established rules;
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.