Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Steel erectors fit and erect structural metal framework for buildings and other structures such as metal chimneys.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills and the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
- examines drawings and specifications to assess job requirements;
- erects ladders, scaffolding or working cage;
- directs hoisting and positioning of girders and other metal parts and checks alignment;
- arranges for or undertakes bolting and welding of metal parts;
- checks alignment of metal parts using spirit level and plumb-rule.