Tailors and dressmakers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Tailors and dressmakers prepare patterns and make, fit and alter tailored garments, dresses and other articles of clothing.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. A variety of relevant vocational courses, including apprenticeships in some areas, are available leading to qualifications up to Level 3.
- takes customer’s measurements and discusses required style and material;
- prepares individual or adapts stock pattern;
- examines fabrics or skins for flaws and prepares materials for cutting;
- arranges pattern on correct grain of fabric, marks position and cuts out garment parts with hand shears, electric knife or cutting machine;
- pins/tacks and fits garment on customer or dummy model and makes any necessary alterations;
- sews garment parts together by hand or machine, makes buttonholes and sews on fasteners and trimmings;
- shapes garment by pressing seams, pleats, etc.;
- makes alterations to finished garments according to customer’s requirements.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.