Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Telephonists receive and direct callers in commercial, industrial and other establishments, and operate telephone (public) and office (private) switchboards to advise on, and assist with, making telephone calls and to relay incoming, outgoing and internal calls.
QualificationsAcademic qualifications may not be required. On-the-job training is provided.
- receives callers and directs them to appropriate person or department;
- operates switchboard to connect outgoing calls or to relay incoming or internal calls;
- reports any faults on telephone operating system;
- gives advice on dialling and other special features available;
- provides directory information, dialling codes and details of charges;
- alerts emergency services in cases of fire, crime or accident.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.