Tool makers, tool fitters and markers-out
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Tool makers, tool fitters and markers-out mark out metal for machining and fit, assemble and repair machine and press tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other tools.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Engineering apprenticeships, BTEC and City and Guilds qualifications are available together with on-the-job training. NVQs/ SVQs at Level 2 are available.
- examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate method and sequence of operations;
- marks out reference points using measuring instruments and tools such as punches, rules and squares;
- operates hand and machine tools to shape workpieces to specifications and checks accuracy of machining;
- assembles prepared parts, checks their alignment with micrometers, optical projectors and other measuring equipment and adjusts as necessary;
- repairs damaged or worn tools.