Transport and distribution clerks and assistants
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Workers in this unit group perform various clerical functions relating to the transport and distribution of goods and freight.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is usually provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3.
- processes customer orders and forwards requisition documentation to storage and distribution personnel;
- formulates delivery loads, vehicle schedules and routes to be followed by delivery staff;
- monitors tachograph readings and maintains records of hours worked and distance travelled by drivers;
- obtains customs clearance and processes import and export documentation necessary for the movement of goods between countries;
- maintains records regarding the movement and location of freight, containers and staff.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.