Tyre, exhaust and windscreen fitters
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Tyre, exhaust and windscreen fitters fit, repair and adjust tyres, exhausts and windscreens on cars, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job, or through training programmes within larger companies. NVQs/SVQs in Vehicle Maintenance (Service Replacement) are available at Levels 1 and 2.
- carries out inspection and assesses the nature and extent of repair necessary;
- removes wheel, exhaust or windscreen using semi-automatic machinery or hand and power tools;
- separates tyre from wheel and fits replacement tyre using automatic machine or by using a wheel stand and hand tools;
- inflates tyre to correct pressure, refits wheel to axle and balances wheel using balancing machine;
- replaces faulty parts of exhaust and refits exhaust or windscreen to vehicle.