Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group upholster vehicle, aircraft and other seating, fix trimmings to the interiors of vehicles and aircraft, upholster furniture such as chairs and sofas, and make mattresses, curtains and other soft furnishings.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Upholstered Furniture Production are available at Level 2.
- measures frame to be covered or examines drawings or other specifications and cuts material with shears, knife or scissors;
- tacks and staples or otherwise secures webbing to furniture frame;
- pads springs and secures padding by stitching, stapling, tacking, etc.;
- pins sections of coverings together, joins by sewing and inserts trims, braids and buttons as required and fits upholstery unit to frame;
- operates machine to compress padded spring assemblies and inserts them into mattress covers;
- encases bed springs and padding with selected covering material by hand or machine stitching and fits castors where required;
- replaces covering, padding, webbing or springs to repair upholstered furniture;
- measures, cuts, pins, sews and trims fabrics to make curtains, cushions, loose covers and similar soft furnishings.