Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Van drivers collect, transport and deliver goods in vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes in weight.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Entrants must possess a clean car driving licence. In order to drive vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, entrants must pass an additional test for a category C1 licence. Minimum age restrictions apply according to the weight of vehicle and whether the driver holds a Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence). NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas and at various levels are available.
- checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle;
- drives vehicle from depot to loading/unloading point;
- assists with loading/unloading and obtains receipts from customers for goods collected/delivered;
- drives vehicle to destination in accordance with schedule;
- maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked;
- undertakes minor repairs and notifies supervisor of any mechanical faults.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.