Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Veterinary nurses provide assistance to veterinarians in the treatment and care of sick or injured animals.
QualificationsEntrants require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Entrants must obtain employment at an approved veterinary practice to gain practical experience and tuition with an employer for a minimum duration of two years. Candidates must also pass professional examinations before qualifying as a veterinary nurse.
- assists the veterinary surgeon during surgical and medical treatments of animals;
- prepares operating theatre, sterilises equipment and assists in theatre as required;
- dispenses and administers medication and applies dressings to animals under direction from the veterinarian;
- handles animals during treatment;
- collects and analyses blood, urine and other samples;
- cares for animals in hospital accommodation and keeps accurate records;
- maintains the biosecurity of the veterinary premises;
- advises clients on preventative medicine to maintain appropriate animal health and welfare.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.