Web design and development professionals
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Jobholders in this unit group design, develop and maintain websites to meet a client’s specified requirements.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of relevant vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
- liaises with internal/external client in order to define the requirements for the website;
- presents design options to the client;
- designs web pages including graphics, animation and functionality to maximise visual effectiveness and facilitate appropriate access;
- develops the website and applications;
- designs and develops web interfaces for relational database systems;
- establishes methods to ensure appropriate website security and recovery;
- writes and publishes content for the website;
- tests website interaction and performance prior to going ‘live’, and monitors and maintains functionality of the website;
- activates the ‘live’ website.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.